Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Welcome to 2011!

I've been putting off writing this post for silly reasons.  All the blogs I read are doing a review of 2010 or writing about their resolutions for 2011.  I didn't want to do those things, so I didn't write last week.  If you want to read about my 2010, look in the blog archives.  We had a good year, a lot of traveling.  As for 2011, I have resolutions, but they're private, so back off!  Just kidding.
Fireworks in Piazza Santa Rosa
This post, in accordance with pretty much every post I've ever written, is the story of how we celebrated the new year.  After all, my blog is pretty much about the places we go, the people we see, the dinners we eat/make & the parties we attend.  ;-)

Our original plan was to go to a nice dinner just Fabri & I in Saluzzo and then walk up to the castle for a midnight brindisi (toast) hosted by the city.  Our usual NYE group was heading to San Remo, but Fabri was on call the 31st until 8pm and then starting at 8am on the 1st.  So traveling was out of the question.  Then 2 days before NYE, we received invites to 2 dinners with friends in Savigliano!  Feeling lucky to have so many nice friends, and realizing NYE is more fun in a group, we decided to join a group doing a fondue dinner at our friend Edo's house.  Now Edo lives in Piazza Santa Rosa in Savigliano which is perhaps the most beautiful piazza in Piemonte.  That's important to know later in the story.
Fondue!
Anyway, we were a lovely group of nine friends (2 of which I had just met).  We drank and ate until midnight and then we lit sparklers and fireworks in Piazza Santa Rosa.
Mia & I with sparklers!
Here's where there was some disappointment.  The beautiful Piazza Santa Rosa, heart of Savigliano, was COMPLETELY EMPTY at midnight.  Just us, not another soul.  Not even people yelling from their windows & balconies.  This is the perfect example of why I will never live in Savigliano.  You can be sure there were people around Saluzzo, after all the city organized a midnight toast and some sort of concert before. 
Fabri rocking out 2011-style!
Anyway, after doing our part to disturb all of Savigliano, we went back inside to hang out and play games.  It was a lot of fun.  I'm only sorry that we weren't in a bigger crowd for the midnight celebration.  Someday we'll go up to Turin or somewhere even cooler for the big countdown!  But for 2011, it was good to be with friends.
Playing 20 questions with animal names on our foreheads.

4 comments:

Lauren said...

Sounds like a pretty nice new year! Joey and I stayed in and drank a bottle of Champagne, ate carry out from my favorite Bethesda restaurant, and watched Mad Men. We loved it! Your hair looks fabulous in these pictures!!

Jess said...

Thank you so much!!! I have split ends. But I've started straightening my hair for special occasions.

Caitlin said...

Your NYE sounded like a blast. And your pictures are great - you look so happy!
My NYE consisted of wearing my PJs waiting for the ball to drop so I could go to bed. I was a bit sicky. :( and lame-y...

Amy Buff said...

I love that photo of the fireworks. Happy New Year Jess. May 2011 bring a winning lottery ticket and plane tickets for me and Casey to come visit:)