Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Holiday Marathon Part 2

Dinner at Danny's new house
The week between Christmas and New Years we ate cookies (and cupcakes), visited with friends and relaxed.  It was cold and humid and I caught a bit of a cold as well, so when NYE arrived, we were not where the party's at.  We wanted to go to our favorite restaurant either with a group of friends, or just the two of us, but ours was the only reservation the restaurant received, so they didn't open for NYE.  That was just as well because of my cold and instead Fabri and I made ourselves a very fancy and very yummy several course meal.  At midnight we watched some fireworks and paper lanterns from our balcony while Olney hid in a corner, afraid of all the noise. 
Olney loves meat!
Fabri sets a beautiful table

January 2nd is Maria Pia's birthday and we had a Motta family dinner to celebrate that.  I don't remember what we ate, but I remember not feeling stuffed like an olive and having plenty of room for the chocolate cake that I had brought.  Apparently that was the first time the Motta's tried frosting and it made a real impression on Francesca especially.  Frosting has the ability to bridge all cultural barriers!


The following Friday was (finally) the end of the holiday marathon, Epiphany.  It was a 3 day weekend and Fabri wasn't working a single shift the whole time, so I said "let's get outta here!"  We put the puppy in the car and headed over the snow-less mountains to Nice, stopping on the way for a pint at Troll brewery.  The weather was great and we even ate lunch outside in the sunshine!  The city was really empty though and didn't have that exciting Nice vibe that we love, so on Saturday we packed up to go to Limone for a night.  Well an empty Nice is more sad than an empty snow-less Limone, but not by much.  We enjoyed walking around the town with Olney which is difficult when Limone is crowded and ate dinner in the apartment.  On Sunday we were already close to home, so we got home early to relax and enjoy the last few hours of the holiday marathon before things went back to normal. 
Giant ornament light in Nice

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the countdown!! So exciting!

mom said...

That is a very pretty ornament in Nice and I agree that the NYE table looks beautiful! Only 6 weeks til baby time! YAY

Jenny said...

Am I the only one who's stuck on the idea of an entire family who's never had frosting? What other pleasures have you had to introduce to Italy? I hope chocolate chip cookies has been on that list!

Jess said...

I introduced them to chocolate chip cookies years ago thankfully. I've made cakes & cupcakes here many times, I guess I just never brought them to the Motta's before. I also taught them to make pancakes and waffles. And the joys of barbecue sauce and beer can chickens!

Laura Goldstein said...

I like the beach pics!
Also-I like the Lilypie countdown...partly because I have a Lilypie at home!