Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Italian Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving was an overwhelming success.  Everyone was so happy and I got so many compliments!  When dinner was ready, I was ready to go to sleep.  It was an exhausting day.

Olney and I arrived at the Motta's house a little after 10 Saturday morning.  Fabri was at work doing rounds at the hospice.  At 11 or so the cousins started arriving.  I made us a pancake breakfast to start the day off American style.  We will definitely skip the breakfast next time I cook Thanksgiving dinner.  After the pancakes, people left to go shopping and I came back to Saluzzo to meet Fabri and to pick up the pumpkin pies and quiches that were still in my fridge.

From Italian Thanksgiving
At 3:30 we arrived back in Savigliano.  We worked on the table settings and at 4 we lit the fire.  We decided to do the turkeys in the wood oven because there was room for both of them in one oven that way.  Also it was pretty cool and rustic.  The cousins returned soon after and I put them to work cutting onions, celery & mushrooms for the stuffing.  I prepared the turkeys and got those in the oven.  It was really great because everyone helped with something.  It was truly a communal effort.  That was Fabri's favorite part of the holiday.  The family working together to create a delicious meal.

From Italian Thanksgiving
I had been worried it wouldn't be enough food.  I had never cooked a dinner for 17 people before, but in the end, we had plenty of left overs.  We started with quiche (Aunt Pam's recipe) and baked brie (Stephanie's recipe super-sized).  The main course was, of course, roast turkey (Mom's recipe).  I cooked all the traditional sides as well: mashed potatoes, stuffing (Mom's recipe), green bean casserole, creamed corn (Aunt Pam's recipe), cranberry sauce and gravy.

From Italian Thanksgiving
Practically everyone brought a dessert.  I made two pumpkin pies.  Maria Pia made an apple cake and a chocolate cake.  Detta made a delicious Sicilian ricotta & chocolate cake.  Antonio & Laura brought pastries from the best pastry shop in Savigliano!

During dinner and also later in the weekend I got a lot of thank yous and compliments from all the guests.  Maria Pia & Antonio were so happy with the dinner, on Sunday they gave me an iPhone! Sunday I returned to Casa Motta to pick up my left overs (they did all of the cleaning and packing up without me).  Then Maria Pia, Detta and I went to the Christmas Market in Savigliano.  Before heading home, Antonio brought out the iPhone and I did a happy dance.  Good weekend.

5 comments:

Caitlin said...

Wait, what? You cook a turkey and get an iPhone? Nice American Thanksgiving Italian tradition! ;)

Unknown said...

YEA"!!! thats awesome!!! you have great inlaws! next time i wanna chip in!haha... congrats jess! so i take it you didnt need the pasta?

Lauren said...

Congratulations on your success, jessie!! You were missed in Olney but it sounds like you represented well. See you soon :)

Jess said...

Nope, there was no pasta at Thanksgiving dinner. It was all very traditional.

liz said...

this sounds like a great thanksgiving. and it is making me hungry for more creamed corn!!