Thursday, November 19, 2009

Tar Baby

Does anyone know the story of Br'er Rabbit and the Tar Baby?  Well I have my own Tar Baby.  Olney cannot walk past a mud puddle without rolling and digging in it.  He just loves to be dirty.  Yesterday I let him run around in the fenced in dog area to get some exercise.  Unfortunately, that area has been incredibly muddy for months and Olney felt the need to dig and slide around there.  That wouldn't be so bad, except that upon exiting the dog area, Olney needs to jump on me and rub against my legs so that I can get all dirty too...



Someone said that I don't write about the museum enough.  My work at the museum is going really well.  I'm about to start a new project.  I am almost finished organizing the butterfly and moth collection.  Gian just gave me a copy of a publication where he thanks me for helping him write in English and we might coauthor an article about an unusual sex ratio in a beetle species collected from Africa.  So that's all good and exciting!

Last Friday we went to the Leek Festival in Cervere.  There was a 10 euro buffet with raw meat (very popular here) and leek, a chicken coleslaw with leek, little baked leek cakes, leek risotto, ravioli with leeks and ragu sauce, and leek-free hazelnut cake.  It wasn't bad, but we were forced to eat quickly (and compete with others for food) so that wasn't so great.  We went in a big group of our friends from Savigliano who we hadn't seen in a long time.  We were pretty lame though and ready to go around 11:30.  There was a band, but the music wasn't very good and all of Fabri's friends were outside smoking, so we headed home.  I prefer nicer, slower, sit down dinners I've decided.  It was not as good as the gnocchi festival or bagna caoda (that being my favorite food festival). 

Anyway, it was awful weather today which I think was responsible for a recurring headache.  Hopefully this weekend will be nice.  There's a Christmas Market in Saluzzo which we will definitely be going to and I don't know what else.  But Fabri's not working, so we'll have fun!

2 comments:

mom said...

Hey Jess, maybe Olney could be taught to just jump up with his paws and make cute paw prints on you. That may be a new style that would be cute. love you, mom
p.s. Its been very foggy here today since this morning.

Caitlin said...

A Leek festival? A Gnocchi festival? These sound soooo Italian. Could you imagine a DC Leek festival? A Gnocchi festival, however, just sounds amazing. Mmmmmmm.....