Sunday, October 19, 2008

Welcome

I guess I should start with a little bit about who I am and what I'm doing here, but I don't expect anyone who doesn't know me to read this, so I'm going to skip that and go straight to writing about what I've been up to.  

Ok, let's get started.  I have been in Italy for 26 days now and have accomplished a lot.  Though the immigration process is not complete, I do have residency in Italy and an Italian SSN.  With these things I have procured a bank account which I share with Fabri and we bought a car with an automatic transmission.  It was very lucky we found the car.  There were basically two automatic vehicles in the whole province and the other one we saw was pretty bad.  Now I'm the proud owner of a 5 door Hyundai Getz (in Italian pronounced "Jets"; a Jets for Jess).  


Fabri and I are still living in his parents' house.  I am counting down the days until we can move into our apartment and I pretty much freak out when there are any set backs.  The kitchen was installed on Friday which was very exciting.  The kitchen is awesome, better than I imagined and I can't wait to get in there and start cooking.  The electrician is almost finished.  The painter starts this week.  The plumber comes back next week to finish things up and the furniture arrives October 30.  I plan to move in on Halloween if not the 30th!!!  

One last exciting thing.  Fabri and I bought tickets for Thanksgiving in Washington.  We got the best deal ever and the tickets are just 300 euros each.  A patient of Fabri's mom gave up a trip which we traded in for a discount of 200 euros and paid just 400 euros for two tickets from Malpensa to Dulles.  We're arriving November 26 and leaving the night of December 7th.  We hope to see everyone and do a lot of shopping in that time.

7 comments:

Carolyn said...

Your life is freakin' sweet! So glad to hear you're getting comfortable.

liz said...

i'm ordering some snapfish wedding pix to send to gramps! i might print out your blog and send that to him too. what do you think about that?

Jess said...

Liz, that's a great idea! You can feel free to print out the blog. Once I get a desk and a printer, I might have to start doing that.

Laura Goldstein said...

I like the new car. I am ready to ride around in it in Italy!!

P.S. On the today show, they had a list of the best European travel cities and Florence was number 1! I am excited!

Leah said...

Love the pic of you and the car! Glad to hear life is going so well.

witcrow said...

I loved reading about your life in Italy. Once you move into your apartment, please post some photos so we can all feel part of your viva Italiano! BTW, you will be happy to know that undefeated Sherwood beat (previously) undefeated QO last night! Maddie didn't get to go because she was at her boyfriend's homecoming. How old do you feel now?! Please send regards to Fabri and your makhetonim!

Dee said...

Jess we are sooooo happy for ya! Sorry we won't be up for Thanksgiving but if ya can, come on down to SoMD to see us.
All our Love to ya'al