Tuesday, June 7, 2011

What's cookin good lookin?

The answer to that question is ASPARAGUS!  It's spring and that means asparagus coming out the ears.  I've been buying a bunch every time I go to the store or market.  The Gardening blogs I read tell me that asparagus are easy to grow and I really want to try that once I have the giant garden I'm dreaming of.  Until then, I'm going to buy a ton of asparagus when they're in season.  Produce tastes so much better when it's in season.

Anyway, I've been making some yummy stuff with those asparagus.  First I saw on a cooking show that asparagus naturally snap where they should when you bend them.  So no knife necessary!  I discovered this spring how good asparagus are when grilled.  Much better flavor than boiled.  And you don't need to put oil on top, just a bit of salt & pepper.
Grilled Asparagus
The cooking blogs are a twitter with yummy asparagus recipes.  Here are my faves! 

Best spring salad ever!

(check out my new cherry place mats!)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

that salad looks great! and the asparagus are not overcooked like so often they do here in italy! i heard that snapping thing too.. can't remember where... anyway lovely post!

mom said...

Will you make us some asparagus when you visit? It looks really good. See you soon!