Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Earthquake

I should have written this when it first happened. Fabri and I were unaffected by the earthquake in L'Aquila, Italy as were our friends and family here. That region is very far from Saluzzo and nothing was felt up here. It was incredibly devestating and upsetting even more so because that is a poor region of Italy whose people will have trouble rebuilding. I think the Italian government is doing a good job though, much better than how the US government handled Katrina.

I heard on the news that about 50% of Italy is in an "earthquake danger zone" and only about 14% of Italy's buildings are up to US earthquake safety standards. That's because a LOT of Italy's buildings were built hundreds & even thousands of years ago. And what are they supposed to do, tear down Roman farmhouses and medieval churches to build something earthquake proof (which doesn't really exist anyway)?

I just wanted to mention that we are not in that 50% earthquake danger zone, and though we do occasionally get very small tremors, there's never any damage. Ok, I should have written that earlier, but better late than never.

No comments: