Monday, February 9, 2009

Professoressa

If you recall, last time I wrote I mentioned two interviews at English language schools.  The first one spent the first half of our interviewing trying to sell Fabri on this English in the Hospital class they have and she eventually mentioned that I would be teaching it if Fabri helped to drum up interest.  She said they don't really have anything for me now, but she would pass any translating work they get my way because they don't do that and then said if I'm still looking in September, I can take over their school in Saluzzo because the girl who runs it now will be going off to get married or something like that.  So that interview was a little strange.

There was a space of about 2 hours in between the two interviews, so Fabri and I walked around Cuneo.  We did a little shopping and a bit more window shopping which is always fun.  Then we went to a bar for a cappuccino and a hot chocolate.  

The second interview went very well.  Basically they told us about the job, complimented my CV and asked when I could start.  So that went pretty well.  I'm now teaching at the Wall Street Institute.  This past Friday I began my training and sat in on two lessons at the school.  Today I went for two more lessons with a different teacher.  Tomorrow evening I go for one more lesson and a big more training before I teach my first class on Thursday evening for 2 hours.  I'm going to teach at a company in Savigliano (I don't know which yet).  

Meanwhile, I'm still volunteering at the museum.  I go three days this week from ~9:30 to ~1:30.  That way I get plenty of insect time.  The weather has started warming up (though some people are predicting one last snow storm), so soon I can start collecting again and work on my own collection at the museum too.

Anyway, Fabri is very proud.  We started looking for a job for me in mid January and in less than a month I'm volunteering at a museum and teaching.  That's not bad.  I'm mostly happy to be teaching so that I can hopefully meet new people my age and make some friends of my own.

4 comments:

Amy Buff said...

That's awesome Jessie. Are you going to be able to take time off when we come visit:) PS I wish I could leave the little crab guy instead of a smiley face.

Jess said...

The great thing about these jobs is that they are very flexible. Since I'm not paid at the museum, they encourage me to come and go as I please. For the school I give them my availability and then they schedule my classes around that. Also everything is very scripted, so any teacher can teach any of the classes. That was important for my own travels!

Carolyn said...

Yay! This is all so exciting! Living in Italy is so fun for Jessie!!

Anna and Micah said...

yay! congratulations. You are a super star! How did the class go? I am excited to visit :)